Key Scripture: Hosea 6:1
Hosea 6:1 Come and let us return to the Lord. He has torn us he will heal, he has smitten us but he will bind us up
Jer 3:22 Return you backsliding children and I will heal your backsliding
Before we begin to experience Restoration and Fruitfulness we must listen to what God is saying to the church today
Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen, repent and do the first works, or else.
What we are hearing is a call to repentance from all sorts of backsliding.
God laid it in my heart to speak his word that. The Lord is watching over his word to perform what he has said he will do but he says make it clear that I have made room for them to return.
What is backsliding?
Turning away from the Lord, falling away from the truth, and falling away from the love of God. It has something to do with the spiritual state of the heart. It demonstrates itself in our attitude and behavior.
Prov 14:14 the backslider in heart will be filled with his own ways
It could also be likened with the prodigal son Luke 15
Backsliding is so subtle and one may not realize that they have fallen away.
I Cor 10:12.
Therefore let him who thinks he stands to take hind lest he falls.
Key indicators of Backsliding
- Personal devotion to God is wanting. Spiritual disciplines like prayer, fasting, being in the Word becomes a thing of the past. Job 23:12. I have not departed from the commandments of his lips. I have treasured the words of his mouth more than necessary food.
- Over-reliance on self-confidence. Victories of the past, experiences, gifting minus the anointing instead of relying on the leading of the Holy Spirit. We need a fresh anointing of the Holy Spirit.
- Detaching yourself from the fellowship of the brethren. There is a corporate grace when brethren gather together for Koinonia. Heb 10:25 do not forsake the assembling of ourselves together as it is the manner of some.
- They were taught the Apostles doctrine word and spent time in prayer. It’s time to prioritize our life Psalm 84:10
- Loss of the joy of the Lord and in serving. No passionate love of God and his work
Brethren who love to spend time with non-believers. It is a sign of backsliding.
- Lusting after things, members of the opposite sex. You are full of the flesh.
- Shallowness in the faith. No desire for the depth of the word of God and fellowship with the Holy Spirit
- Uncontrolled anger and bitterness against people.
- Rebellion against Godly authority.
- A shift from focusing on the things of God to the world. Solomon was focused more on marrying many wives, gaining a lot of wealth.
- No more responding to convictions and altar calls
Spiritual pride Prov 16:18 pride comes before a fall.
How do we stop the fall?
- Jealously guard your personal time with God. Don’t substitute it with anything.
- Love the fellowship of the brethren. Don’t isolate yourself.
- Live a life of self-examination on a daily basis
- Turn back to the Lord Heb 3:12
- Purpose to walk in the Spirit
- Purpose to live a balanced life